Saturday, September 17, 2011

Stress Tears and Anxiety

My anxiety is on over drive this morning. I got the best sleep I've had since I got here, but I've been very anxious this morning. I was very nervous about the removal of my drain and catheter. I cried during both and have continued to cry throughout the morning. I'm ready to go home. The removal of the drain was not as bad as I had anticipated. The nurse gave me a dilauded IV pain killer to ease the pain.

Dr. Gould explained what he was doing so there wouldn't be any surprises. The opening where the drain was might leak for a couple of days, so they gave me extra bandages. The removal of the catheter came next. My nurse Bernadette also talked me through the process. Before they take the catheter out, they fill your bladder with 200 cc's of saline. After they remove it, they do a "void test." I had to urinate at least 100 cc's of the saline or else they put the catheter back in. I was elated to find out almost the full 200 came out. Bye, bye pee purse! I had the IV on my left hand removed. The one on the right will be removed just before I leave.
I also freaked out about a new line on my stomach. It's actually a blister. It could have been caused by tape or the binder I had on. The only reason why I noticed it was because my stomach itched. I lifted my gown to make sure I wasn't itching a band-aid or a steri strip. It's very bizarre looking.
The only thing holding up my release is the pharmacy. Once we get my meds, I'm out of here. I'm sitting here getting pampered by my mom and Suzi. My legs are tingly, so they're rubbing them to help increase the circulation. I don't know if I've said it before but, the Percocet makes me hallucinate a bit. When I close my eyes, I have very vivid hallucinations or a day dream. I see and hear people talking to me. I talk or answer back only to open my eyes and realize I'm alone. I'll write again when I'm finally home resting in my comfy quiet room.

My note of thanks for this post goes to Suzi and my mom for wiping away my tears and helping me calm down.

1 comment:

  1. Great Day! We are so proud of you and we admire your great strength and personality.

    ReplyDelete