Monday, September 12, 2011

It's time!

     There's good news and bad news... The bad news is that the cancer has spread to one of my left pelvic lymph nodes. The good news is that I have a more definitive treatment plan and the surgery will take place tomorrow. I've actually found peace in the fact that I know what is going to happen now. I go in for Pre-op at Kaiser Morse Avenue tomorrow at 9:00am. My surgery is scheduled for 11:30am. My gynecogolic oncologist Dr. Skilling and my OB/GYN Dr. Azevedo will be performing the surgery. I trust both of my doctor's and know they have my best interest at heart. The surgery should last 3.5 to 4 hours. My cervix, uterus, the cancerous lymph node and several other lymph nodes will be removed. They will biopsy many lymph nodes to see how high the cancer has spread.
     At this point, there is still hope that I can keep my ovaries. If the doctor's sense something abnormal about my ovaries, they will remove them during the surgery as well. If all goes well, I will get to keep my ovaries for a bit. It takes 6-8 weeks to heal from the hysterectomy. If I have my ovaries, after I heal, I can try to stimulate my ovaries and remove eggs to freeze. The entire egg retrieval process takes 3-4 weeks. Then before I begin chemo and radiation, they would laparoscopically remove the ovaries. My chemo and radiation will run concurrently. They are positive that I have to have both since the cancer is present in my lymph node. To chemo standards, my chemo will be a lower does than other patients (with different cancers) receive. Chemo will take place once a week for 5 weeks. The radiation will be 5 days a week for 5 weeks. Each radiation treatment is only 10-15 minutes long (at least that's what I've been told at this point).
     I spent the better half of my day getting a manicure and pedicure with my mom, throwing the ball for Dodger dog at the park and having dinner with my dad and family. My step-mom and niece made me homemade berry ice cream which was delicious. The entire dinner was a great "pre surgery supper" and I'm sure I ate way too much.  I also picked up my custom surgical gowns! Thanks to the super crafty Tracy McC. I will be the most stylish cancer patient in the hospital. (check my photos for a preview!)
My mom or I will blog tomorrow after the surgery. We will let everyone know what the visiting hours are. Any one who wants to visit is more than welcome to come on down. I'd enjoy the distraction. I'll also be enjoying the sedative cocktails they'll be giving me!
     Thank you all for your comments and prayers. Please put both Dr. Azevedo and Dr. Skilling in your prayers tonight, they need to be on top of their game to tomorrow!
XOXO
Britni

2 comments:

  1. Hugging you with all my heart, Britni! See you later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and kisses to you! Saying lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete