Friday, September 16, 2011

Farts, Fairy Dust & Gas- oh my!

My life here in the hospital revolves around farts, fairy dust or gas. (there's a lot of pain meds involved too.) You choose what you want to call it, but the pain is all the same. During a visit with Suzanne last night, the excruiating pain started to kick in. This is not your run of the mill bad mexican food stomach ache! This pain is stomach wrenching, blanket gripping, screaming in terror pain. And all over a damn fart.

It's still the first question everyone asks when they come into my room. Dr. Gould, a second year resident who has been assigned to my case came by again this morning to check on me. He told me I should be prepared for a big one today. I loved my friend Sara's question she asked last night: " Did you ever think how well your day went would be judged by a fart?" haha! I certainly never thought about that until now. Since gas is the question of the day, everyone has a joke to share. I laugh and wince at all of them. I almost kicked my mom out of my room last night. She and I both couldn't stop laughing at a joke she made. It hurts to laugh so it took me awhile to calm down. I can't even repeat it now, it would make my abdomen hurt again. I giggle everytime I think about it.

My goals today are to eat more solid food, walk around every hour, drink a ton of water and of cousre let out some fairy dust. My dad stayed the night with me last night. He was a big help when I was wincing in pain. He'd rub my feet to take my mind off the the pain. I'm happy to report that my mom got a full night sleep last night too. I told her to go home and get some real sleep! My dad walked with me before he left for work. I took a spin around the dance floor by myself before my mom got here and then had my regular Starbucks oatmeal for breakfast. I walked again after breakfast, but couldn't make it very far. The Percocet had started to wear off. I was just at the 4 hour mark when I got back to my room.  My mom helped me wash down so I could change into pajamas. I'm sure the highlight of my day will be washing my hair later. The nurses understand how girls feel about dirty hair. They have some special cap that has water and shampoo in it. I'm still hooked up to too many things to take a real shower.

A social worker named Sara came to check on me this morning too. They want to make sure I am coping ok. I haven't cried the whole time I've been in here, but I started to weep when I was talking to her. She was very empathetic and gave me some support group names and websites she suggests.

I think it's important to recognize the good things that have come out of my diagnosis. Im going to begin to post things I am thankful for in each subsequent post. When I think about these things, it helps me focus on positive thoughts and an optimistic future. So here it goes, the upsides to cancer;
~ You find out how many people really care about you. I've received at least 100 emails, Facebook posts or text messages from friends wishing me the best and sending me prayers.
~ People actually offer to rub your feet and back! I'm taking full advantage of this! My feet are swollen and the narcotics I take make my skin itch.
~ You get to meet some amazing people. I have had nothing but great experiences with my nurses and doctors. They are all very sincere, genuine people. It's obvious that their patients health and comfort is their top priority.
~ You get your Dr.'s cell phone number! It makes it much easier to get your questions answered quickly!
~ You get lots of beautiful fresh flowers (which I love)
~ You get to take a bunch of naps and watch TV without people calling you a lazy bum.
That's a good start for today. I'm getting a little light headed. It's time for another nap and the Law & Order: SVU marathon.

XOXO Britni

P.s. I have lots of pictures to upload but I have to wait till I get home. The mobile function isn't working.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you in Lincoln soon! The Doctors and Nurses are going to miss their model patient. Thanks for keeping us all well informed.

    ReplyDelete