Monday, October 24, 2011

Tick, Tock....

How quickly the time passes. I begin my chemotherapy and radiation tomorrow! One day shy of 6 weeks post-op. Even after a major surgery, post-op infection, countless doctors appointments and pills it still doesn't feel real. I'm anxious for everything to begin. My chemo treatments are every Monday morning. The radiation treatment times will be set-up at my first appointment. The radiation takes about 15 minutes, while the chemo takes 3 hours to complete. The type of chemo I'll be receiving is called Cisplatinum, which is derived from the metal platinum. Compared to other chemo regimens, it is a lower dose. Lucky for me, I shouldn't loose my hair (hot-damn!).

The major side effects of both the radiation and chemo are nausea and fatigue. There are plenty of other possible side effects, but I'm not going to focus on possibilities. Every persons  experience is unique, so who knows which rotten eggs will be thrown my way. I'm going to take it day by day- no expectations. If you know me well enough, you know this is not how I typically operate.  I'm very nervous to get the first treatments over with.

My mom has made sure I have all the remedies or relief aid I'll need. We have a medicine or something to help all the side effects that we can relieve on our own. Plus each week I'll check in with both my doctors to report side effects. There's a drug or cream or remedy for just about everything. My mom is also working from home now, so Nurse Nancy will be available to tend to her sick kid 24/7!  And yes, I know how lucky I am!! I'm grateful to have such a supportive family and friends!

In preparation for treatment I've been busy being a normal 26 year old in early retirement. My social calendar has been pretty active. Lunches, dinners, walks, trips to Bishop's pumpkin farm & Apple Hill, decorating for Halloween, carving pumpkins and a little retail therapy.

In between it all has been lots of laughs. When my mom had to work, my friend Diana took me to meet my chemo doctor. I had already been to the radiologists that morning for my first post-op exam and CT scan. They use a CT scan to design the radiation field. After the scan, the technician gave me 3 blue dot tattoos. One 2 inches above my belly button, and one on each hip. The tattoos are used to align my body and the radiation beams in the same spot every time. The freckle next to the one on my stomach is bigger than the tattoo. At one point in my chemo consult, the doctor excused himself to go get his hammer. I looked at Diana and said "Are you kidding me? Don't tell my mom what I've been doing today! First I got probed, then 3 tattoos and now I'm getting hammered?!"
I couldn't help but laugh when the doctor came back with his reflex hammer.

Yesterday my mom asked me why I haven't written on my blog. She asked if I was over it. My honest answer: I'm over cancer. I knew this was the last couple of weeks before chemo/rad that I would be feeling "normal" enough to act like I don't have cancer. Once treatment begins, you can't ignore the side effects or the visits to the doctor's offices. That time is drawing closer by the minute!

I was taken out for a delicious "last supper" tonight- hot wings, pizza, a glass of Pinot Noir and a cookie sundae at Chicago Fire. Now it's time for a good nights sleep!

XOXO, Britni

1 comment: