Friday, November 11, 2011

4th times a charm in week 3

What a week! I had such a nice time with Xenia and Justin in Napa. I'm so thankful I have wonderful friends who flew across the country to visit me. It was also a treat to see my brother! While our time together was short, it's always nice to get a hug from your big bro. My mom's birthday dinner and night out was a ton of fun too. Suzanne, Sarah, my mom and I had a great dinner at the Esquire Grill before the concert. 

While all these activities have been fun, they've also been exhausting. The side effects of radiation are in full force. The fatigue I can handle, but the diarrhea is ridiculous. If your grossed out by me talking about poop, I recommend you get yourself a copy of the book "Everybody Poops" and get over it!  :-) The chemo causes constipation, so after four awful days of diarreah, I couldn't wait for chemo this Monday.  I took an Ativan (anti-anxiety med that is supposed to help me and my veins relax before chemo) so Diana took me to radiation and chemo on Monday.  No amount of Ativan could have relaxed my dehydrated veins. It took 2 nurses and 4 attempts to find a suitable vein.  Once we got a good line established, the rest of chemo was a breeze. Diana satisfied my breakfast craving with a Noah's bagel and strawberry smear while in the chemo chair! She also brought me lots of yummy snacks including Hershey kisses. Sweet snacks and lots of laughs made for a great Monday.  

My incision is still having some trouble healing. I can see staples trying to make their way to the surface. I'm sure the diarrhea isn't helping that either. I had the doctor put more steri-strip tape over the incision for my own piece of mind. It makes me feel like it holds the skin together more and if a staple does make its way out again, then the tape should help it not snag on my clothing. 

Unfortunately the fatigue and diarreah will last for the duration of treatment and can continue for 6-8 weeks past the conclusion of treatment. My original treatment plan was 5 weeks long. However due to the Thanksgiving holiday, I'll miss 2 radiation treatments since the offices are closed. That means I get a 6th chemo treatment.  Considering everything, I'm half way through and doing great.  No major plans this weekend, just keeping things low key and allowing my body to heal itself.  My poor mom is sick with a cold, so I've got to make sure she gets better and doesn't give it to me!!  I hope everyone is enjoying this fall weather as much as I am! To be cold is to be comfortable for me right now! 

XOXO Britni

No comments:

Post a Comment